Recently, I discovered that you can add links to image captions in WordPress.
Here’s an example:
Linking the caption has a couple of uses:
- You can use the caption to link back to the photographer or creator of the image you’re using. Handy if you’re using an image that requires attribution (like in the example above!)
- You can create an affiliate link in the caption (handy if you’re reviewing an item, or a fashion blogger sharing outfit posts, for example).
It’s a pretty simple process. I’ll jump straight into the how-to:
Note: I’ve only tried this on self-hosted WordPress. Also, there’s a video at the end of this post if you get stuck!
1) Click the ‘add media’ button.
2) Choose / upload your image. Fill in the alt text box and choose an image size and alignment as usual.
3) In the caption box, write the text you wish to hyperlink (e.g. the image credit).
4) If you know HTML, you can write the hyperlink code directly in the caption box, insert your photo into the post and you’re done. IF NOT, SKIP TO THE NEXT STEP!
5) If you do not know HTML, insert the image into your post. Then highlight the text you wish to link with your cursor.
6) Click the hyperlink button , paste in the URL, hit enter and you’re done!
See, I told you it was easy!
Struggling? I created this little video to show the different steps –